The Working-Class Studies Association (WCSA) invites nominations (including self-nominations) for awards covering the year of 2019.
Award categories are:
- Tillie Olsen Award for Creative Writing: Published books of poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, and other genres
- C.L.R. James Award for Published Books for Academic or General Audiences
- Russo & Linkon Award for Published Article or Essay for Academic or General Audiences
- Studs Terkel Award for Media and Journalism: Single published articles or series, broadcast media, multimedia, and film
- Constance Coiner Award for Best Dissertation: Completed dissertations only
- Jake Ryan and Charles Sackrey Award: Book by creator of working-class origins; work that speaks to issues of the working-class academic experience
In all categories, we invite nominations of work that provides insightful and engaging depictions of working-class life, culture, and movements, which addresses issues related to the working class, and which highlights the voices, experiences, and perspectives of working-class people.
To be eligible, works must have been published (in the case of books or articles) or completed (in the case of films and dissertations) between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
To nominate a work for consideration, please ask your publisher to send four hard copies with a cover letter, identifying the category in which the work is being nominated and a brief explanation of why it deserves recognition. It is the author’s responsibility to make sure four copies with a cover letter are submitted.
Nominations are due no later than December 31, 2019.
Submit nominations to:
Heartland Community College
1500 W. Raab Road
Normal, IL 61761
NOTE: Articles and dissertations should be submitted in electronic form to Cherie Rankin at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact Cherie Rankin, WCSA Past-President, email@example.com
Winners will be announced in spring, 2020. Winners will receive free conference registration and an award acrylic at the WCSA Annual Awards Ceremony. The conference will be held May 20-24 at Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio, USA. Conference attendance is strongly encouraged. Details of the awards and past winners can be found on the WCSA website here.