We are excited to announce the Call for Papers for the Working-Class Studies Association Conference 2019 to be held at the University of Kent, Canterbury – 3-6 September 2019.
Conference Theme: ‘Working-Class Studies Beyond the Heartlands’
With a growing awareness of class-based inequality, Brexit, and a new willingness to discuss working-class issues, we are pleased to announce that the next conference of the Working-Class Studies Association will be held in the UK in September 2019. In its fifteen year history, this will be the first time the Working-Class Studies Association will hold its conference outside its heartland of the USA. This conference aims to build and consolidate work being carried out currently in the UK and Europe with the USA and elsewhere in the world.
Working-Class Studies as a field seeks to bring together academics, activists, artists and others interested in working-class issues and themes. As an interdisciplinary field, it brings together sociologists, literary scholars, anthropologists, geographers, historians, cultural studies scholars, creative writers, and economists amongst others. We welcome proposals for individual papers, panels and other forms of representation.
Conference themes will include:
- Class and Education
- Deindustrialisation, Work, and Class
- Nostalgia, Memory, Heritage, and Loss
- Class Cultures and Identities
- Working-Class Health and Embodiment
- Place, Belonging, and Class
- Class and its Intersections
All presenters at the 2019 Conference are required to become members of the Working-Class Studies Association. The WCSA attempts to accommodate all income levels with adjusted rates for membership.
Submitting a proposal:
• Abstracts should be no more than 200 words in a standard Word document.
• The proposals should identify strand themes into which their presentation will fit.
• They should also have clear contact information for each presenter and indicate technology needs, if any.
Please submit your proposed paper, panel, or other ideas via the conference email
- Call for papers opens: September 2018
- Deadline for proposals: March 25th 2019
- Notification of acceptance: 15th April 2019
For updates, more information, or to get in touch:
Twitter: WCSA @wcstudies / Kent organising team @DIndustrialKent Hashtag: #WCSA19