Letter from the President
I just returned from the How Class Works conference at Stony Brook. First I’d like to thank Mike Zweig and his team for the great job he did. This was Mike’s last event before he retires and we want to wish him all the best in the future. Be sure to view the images from the conference posted on our website.
I wanted to write my last message as president to update you on developments and to try to keep the momentum from the conference going.
- As you will know Liz Giuffre and Sarah Attfield are developing the Journal of Working Class Studies with the aim of the late summer for the first issue. This is a major step forward for the WCSA and we hope that you will become actively involved in the journal as a contributor, reviewer or reader.
- Our website is a fantastically important resource for the field and Michele Fazio has done a great job on building and developing new content. Check out the site for conference updates and photos from the Stony Brook Conference.
- We have set ourselves the ambitious target of doubling the membership of the WCSA over the next year. This is vital if we want to sustain and build the field of Working Class Studies. Please, if you haven’t already done so, renew your membership, or consider taking out a three year membership. Please encourage friends and colleagues to join and consider getting your institution or organisation to take out an institutional subscription. Membership forms are on the website.
- Our next conference will be in Bloomington, Indiana in late May/early June 2017. Joe Varga and his team will circulate a call for papers very soon.
- Later this month, the WCSA Elections Committee will be organising the vote for the new posts and steering committee. Please take an active role in your Association.
- Finally, I’d like to give my thanks to the steering committee and especially Michele Fazio, Christie Launius, and Ken Estey for their huge support and help during my presidency of the WCSA. Michele Fazio will become the new WCSA president from the election.
This next year will be a really exciting one of the WCSA and I hope you will become as involved as you can in building the field.
President of the WCSA